"I am different when my nails are done. I am more dynamic. I gesticulate more, I am better at scaring my staff. I can indicate impatience by drumming on tabletops and I can wrap up a meeting with a few choice clatters."
― Marian Keyes
Summer is the time to be bolder with your look and don bright colors in your makeup. If you are a girl who likes to stick to a neutral color palette as far as makeup is concerned, then the perfect way to try the bright makeup trend is to try vibrant nail colors. Nail colors are the safest way to try out the vivid makeup trend and there are hundreds of nail polish colors that you can choose from. Although bright and sunny colors are all the rage, not all shades are suitable for everyone. Just like any other makeup product, you need to take your skin color and tone into account before you choose a nail polish shade.
1. PastelsPastels are gorgeous, and coordinate perfectly with light dresses that are favored by most women during the summer. If you're aiming for a look that is dainty and feminine, you have a host of pastel shades to choose from this season. Here are a few options handpicked just for you.
1. Trust Fund Beauty Nail Polish in Elegantly Wasted
2. Smith & Cult Nailed Lacquer in Porn-a-Thon
3. Tenoverten Nail Polish in Liberty
4. Butter London Cheeky Chops Nail Lacquer
5. MAC's Life or Beth
6. Pop Beauty's Pink Popsicle
2. BrightsBrights and neons provide the necessary pop of color to any outfit, be it pastel or dark-toned. Certain women shy away from wearing bright shades of nail polish, assuming them to lend a garish look. However, we suggest that you do give these a try, beginning by picking a shade from the ones we've listed below.
1. Lancôme Vernis in Love in Corail
2. Dolce & Gabbana The Nail Lacquer in Light Blue
3. O.P.I. Nail Lacquer in Hotter Than You Pink
4. Dior Vernis Nail Lacquer in Captain
5. Perfect Formula in Dazzle
6. Maybelline Color Show Nail Polish in Shocking Seas
3. NudesNude shades offer a comfort factor like no other. This is because they go with practically any outfit, and tend to flatter all skin tones. Therefore, if you're looking to keep things basic this summer, you'd be interested in taking a look at these beautiful nude shades.
1. Deborah Lippmann Nail Color in Terra Nova
2. RGB Nail Color in Pearl
3. Guerlain Nail Lacquer in Lingerie
4. Sephora by OPI's Neutral Beauty
5. Dior Vernis Nail Laquer in Trianon
6. Deborah Lippmann's Naked
For Short NailsSkin tone is not the only criterion for choosing nail polish colors. The shape and size of your nails also play a role on how a particular shade would look on your hands. Women with short nails with a wider nail bed should be careful not to apply very dark nail colors as it makes the nails look smaller. As dark colors tends to recede, they are not suitable for short nails. Colors that flatter short nails are mint green, sorbet shades like watermelon and raspberry and glitter nail polish.
For Long NailsIf you have long nails, then you are very fortunate as you can wear many different nail polish shades. Candy colors and neons look really good on long nails. If your nail bed is narrow and your nails are square shaped, then you can opt for dark berry shades and purples. Gold and copper nail polishes with a matte effect also look great.
Many women are stumped when they have to decide whether to wear the same color nail polish on their toes and fingers or go for a different combination. Sometimes wearing the same shade on your fingers and toes can look too matchy-matchy. So you can wear different nail polish colors. But to do that, you need to choose shades that look good together. One of the easiest and fail-safe ways to do this is to choose nail polish shades from the same color family. A darker nail color for your toes and a softer one for your fingers look the most appealing. If you are one who does not go by the rules, then there are nail polish combos that look great even when they do not belong to the same color palette. Here is a ready reckoner for you.
Metallics and PastelsPastels might look too tame for summers. But when they are teamed with sophisticated metallics like silver, dull gold and copper, they look stunning. Wear pretty pastels like lavender and candy pink on your toes and try metallics like iridescent gold or a matte bronze shade. A great combination that you can wear is Illamasqua Nail Varnish in Lament on your toes and Rescue Beauty Lounge nail polish in Starfish-Patrick.
Nude and NeonNeon nail polishes are a tad difficult to carry off with panache. So it is best that you downplay this bright color with a nude nail paint. Step back from boring nude color options like beige and espresso and say yes to shades of gray. Gray looks chic and modern and it offsets the neon color brilliantly. Try Sally Hansen Complete Salon Manicure in Eel Skin on your toes and Estée Lauder Pure Color Nail Lacquer Fuchsia Flame on your fingers.
Sorbets and GlitterSultry summers are the perfect time to wear sorbets shades. Sorbet shades like watermelon, pistachio raspberry and peach are best paired with glitter nail polishes. Sorbet shades look better on short nails and are ideal for women who are not comfortable wearing neon nail polish. Wear Dior Vernis Nail Lacquer in Waterlily on your toes and NYX Cosmetics Glitter Nail Polish Forest Green Glitter on your fingers.
This summer you can do your nails in these beautiful colors to look chic and stylish. Choose bright and cheerful nail polish colors that will show off your summer tan.