Nail polish removers are of two types: one that contains acetone, and the other that does not. Acetone removers are very good at their job, i.e., they remove polish from nails in no time. Also, when it comes to fake nails or nail glitter, nothing works like acetone. Although it has many cosmetic advantages, yet when it comes to one's health, acetone can prove to be very dangerous. Researches have shown that if acetone is inhaled or swallowed accidentally, or absorbed through the skin, it can produce a number of negative effects in the various bodily systems.
Acetone remover contains poisonous ingredients, such as dimethyl formaldehyde and dimethyl ketone, which can have harmful effects on the body. Given below are the side effects that you should be aware of.
- Acetone affects the cardiovascular system by lowering the blood pressure.
- It has many negative repercussions on the gastrointestinal system as well. It can cause abdominal pain, nausea, changes the sense of taste, and induces vomiting.
- It may cause shortness of breath, and a slow breathing rate, thus having negative repercussions on the respiratory system.
- It affects the urinary system by increasing the frequency of urination.
If acetone is accidentally consumed, immediate medical attention is needed. Before providing the treatment, the healthcare provider will seek information such as the patient's age, the ingredients of the product he has consumed, and the amount ingested. He will check the patients temperature, weight, pulse, blood pressure, breathing rate, and then, accordingly suggest a treatment.
The treatment usually involves giving the patient activated charcoal. Sometimes, a tube is inserted through the nose, and into the stomach so that the poison can be evacuated. Oxygen may also be given to the patient if required.
Non-acetone Nail Polish Remover
To avoid chances of poisoning, switching to non-acetone removers is a better option. Although, these are very slow at dissolving and removing the polish, they are much safer than the ones containing acetone. To increase their effectiveness, soak the cotton ball a little more than usual, and rub the nail a few extra times too. Though a little pricey, they smell better, and are gentler. Unlike acetone, which makes the nails dry and brittle, they help in maintaining the beauty and strength of the nails.
Acetone, if consumed in a small amount, is still harmless for an adult. However, if it's a child, it can be very dangerous. That is why, it is necessary that all the products that contain acetone, such as nail polish removers, glues, cleaning solutions, lacquers, etc., be kept at places which are out of children's reach. While seeking treatment for acetone poisoning, chances of recovery are good if the patient survives the first two days. But why go through all these hassles when good, alternative non-acetone removers are easily available?