Nail grooming is an indispensable part of female beauty routine, and acrylic nails are the latest fashion trend. Here are some tips for acrylic nail care.
Personal grooming is considered incomplete without proper nail care. Nail grooming becomes impossible for those with short and brittle nails, and so, women with long and strong nails were considered lucky. During ancient times, long and strong fingernails were considered a symbol of wealth and status. The obsession for long, beautiful nails can be traced back to the ancient Egyptian period. Those with long nails enjoyed a higher pedestal in the society. They sported their nails, leaving others to fret.
During the end of the twentieth century, acrylic nails were introduced. Now, anyone can sport long nails, using artificial acrylic versions, which come in various sizes, and can be colored to perfection. So, acrylic nails are like a boon for those with short, brittle nails. While some people use such artificial nails for special occasions, they can also be used to get rid of the nail-biting habit. However, most of the users are totally in dark, when it comes to acrylic nail care. Poor aftercare can lead to problems, like lifting, splitting, skin reactions, deformities in nail growth, and nail fungus.
How to Care for Acrylic Nails
Acrylic nail care starts right from the stage of application. It is always better to approach nail salons with experienced nail technicians, who are experts in application, maintenance, and removal of acrylic nails. If applied in a proper way, most of the problems associated with acrylic nails would not arise. Though applied properly, these artificial nails may develop problems, if not taken care of, in the right manner. In short, proper application and aftercare are necessary to prevent problems associated with acrylic nails.
- Acrylic nails are considered the strongest and longstanding of all types of artificial nails. However, as the nail grows, you have to fill the gaps which develop between the acrylic nails and the cuticle. Apart from filling the gaps, acrylic nails need routine care. Hence, the service of a nail technician is needed for their maintenance.
- You have to be careful while exposing acrylic nails to water. Though exposure to water does not cause any damage to these nails, over exposure may lead to lifting and nail fungus. The only remedy is to towel dry your nails, every time they are exposed to water.
- You can even use hand gloves to avoid contact with water. Hand gloves are also useful in preventing any splitting or chipping due to any accident, which may happen while doing household chores.
- Those who have applied acrylic nails must use an anti-bacterial soap to wash their hands. This is to prevent any bacterial attack, that can lead to damage of natural nails. You can also use alcohol to swab the nails, in order to remove dirt and germs, like bacteria. Such cleansing can be done daily, before going to bed.
- In case of any accidental chipping or splitting, approach the nail technician immediately, because water seepage may lead to fungal infection of the nails. You should not try to glue the broken part, as all types of glues are not resistant to water.
- Apply oil on acrylic nails, once or twice a day, to improve their flexibility. Dry nails may break and chip off easily.
- If your lifestyle does not allow you to carry long nails, then go for the required nail length at the time of application. Otherwise, you can shorten the length when you wish.
- Sharing nail files and other instruments may cause spread of infections. Never share such tools, and use them after proper sanitizing.
It is always better to have a basic understanding about acrylic nail care. You may approach your nail technician, for this purpose. Use the right acrylic nail care products. With proper care, acrylic nails can last longer.